24 November 2013

Writing report #1 on development advancement for a hearing impaired child (Benito)

Literature about hearing impairment, motoric and language skills.

I started working on this report about 4 weeks ago and it's about 90% finished. Right now I'm going through a phase of intensive reading since for the final part I'd need to develop a certain kind of action or procedure with regards to the development of a hearing impaired child - one I've chosen to observe throughout these couple of weeks.

Developing a procedure that would help him sounds like a huge responsibility even though I'm just writing it. It's crazy knowing that there are so many things to look into first before I come up with anything at all.

Through observation I've learned some things about the child and learned to recognize the deficits and/or strengths in him which are so-called (very important) clues as to where I go from there as a teacher. I need to find out what he lacks and what he needs to be able to function in daily life

It takes pretty much common sense but also knowledge to be able to understand what's going on. To an untrained eye (like mine), that's a big challenge.

Though I've seen a couple of things. At 4 years old he can't:

  • hold a knife upright and can't do the cutting motion
  • hold a scissors and cut
  • open a glass of jam
  • scoop food from one plate to another
  • unclip a clothespin
  • spread butter on his bread
  • stop grinding his teeth
  • speak


I've been thinking to myself a lot... been talking things out... just to see if I'm on the right track. It feels alright so I'm okay with how my report is turning out and with how I plan to carry on with it.
About 20 pages are in now and I think there would be at least 10 more on the way. I can't tell how long it's going to be.

Though I'm glad about the fact that I chose this particular child because it's my first encounter with a child wearing a cochlear implant whose motoric skills are terribly delayed. It's not really a surprise that he can't speak yet. He's only had the cochlear implant for 8 months so his hearing and speech is pretty much that of an 8-month-old infant. But the fact that he can't do the most basic things that a child his age could... that completely baffles me because then my question would be: What does that have to do with his hearing impairment? Is there another underlying problem?

It's an interesting point to start with.
So I guess that's my motivation and throughout the process of writing this report I might just find out the answer.

I'm up late reading and trying to figure something out for my Benito.
That's not his real name. But I'm going to call him Benito since I might just continue to write about him.

I'll be interning at this kindergarten for hearing-impaired children until end of July 2014 so who knows... maybe Benito might just improve tremendously by then... or even say his first word. :)

*sigh* And I should focus more on why I love my job (not why I hate my school and everyone in it).

Anyway, here's what the world sounds like to someone wearing a cochlear implant:

No comments:

Post a Comment