15 October 2012

My current muse: Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir

Nanna
Lead vocalist in Of Monsters And Men

I'm in love with Iceland, its isolation and its people.
Especially the fact that the people there maintain the custom of using patronyms instead of surnames and apparently use the word 'fuck' generously 'coz it isn't such a vulgar word when translated to Icelandic.


My current muse is Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir.
You don't address her as Ms. Hilmarsdóttir, because that means Hilmar's daughter and that would just be weird. 
Kind of how I feel when people call me Ms. Roslan, when my last two names Binte Roslan means Roslan's daughter.

So you address her as Nanna. Or Ms. Nanna.
And it would be cool too if people addressed me with Ira or Ms. Ira. Unless I someday for some reason become a queen or a doctor.



I see a real artist in Nanna. Her music and her band write songs that paint vivid pictures in your head. The kind that fills me up with pure courage and joy. Music and words that revolve around being alive, being strong and being at peace with the monsters in your head or in your mind.


Her voice reminds me of Björk but not just that. It's comforting. Nanna guides me through my current artworks. An artist in one form guiding one in another.

Thank you, Nanna. I'll pass it forward.

 
 This is "Mountain Sound" live.

No comments:

Post a Comment