04 August 2012

My favourite art movements



 Surrealism

Surrealism began in the early 1920s and features elements of surprise and unexpected juxtapositions.
I don't think I would explain this in words because if you look closely at the painting above, you will know what I mean.





 Naive Art

Also known as Outsider Art, it began in the 18th century where it was seen as art which is without formal (or little) training or degree.

This was true before the 20th century, but today it is recognised fully as an art genre, represented in art galleries worldwide.

Its history alone is fascinating.
Naive art has elements of childishness, innocence, awkwardness, and simplicity.
 And I think it's just beautiful.





Lowbrow Art

Lowbrow is an underground art movement that arose in the late 1970s and is also known or referred to as Pop Surrealism.
One of its characteristics is often humour. Sometimes it is gleeful, sometimes devilish, sometimes sarcastic, and sometimes morbid.

I love the way it cheers me up :)


So, you've learned something new today.

No comments:

Post a Comment