12 August 2012

Actors I like





Sandra Bullock

I hardly enjoy watching actresses on screen (with an exception to a very, very, very few) because all I ever see is how they are only there for eventual nude and sex scenes, which - in most cases - contribute only eye candy and nothing to the spine of the story.

In moments like that I feel like the straight guy who has to watch a really hot actor shower in full 360° view and then watch him touch himself and turning himself or others on on screen. It just ruins the movie for me.
Just so you get what I mean.

But anyway, when I see Sandra's acting, I see a professional who brings life, laughter and meaning into the movie. She knows well what she's doing.

Some facts:
  • She's compassionate, easy going, bright, witty, generous.... and speaks fluent German :)
  • She just happened to be staying at a nearby hotel in New York during the 911 attacks on the World Trade Center. She didn't hesitate to run straight to the scene, offering her assistance where it was needed most.
  • Sandra contributes a lot to charities and loves helping others to get out of rough situations.
  • When I was walking down the "Hollywood Walk of Fame" I didn't see her star. But that was in 1997. Sandra received her star in 2005.






Viggo Mortensen

  • Actor, poet, musician, photographer and painter
  • Viggo is somewhat one of a kind. Weird in a weird way. Unpredictable. Very down-to-earth.
  • A creative bomb, which is to an extent inspiring to me.
  • Viggo has published poetry and makes abstract art, which often contains fragments of his poetry, which has also been featured in exhibitions worldwide.
  • He is multilingual; he speaks - get ready for this - English, Danish, Spanish, French, Italian, Norwegian, and Swedish.



Paul Dano

I don't know much about Paul Dano, which is why I wish I do. He isn't 'world famous' and doesn't get as much attention as the rest of the actors mentioned on this page. But he stood out in the films he's played in, like Little Miss Sunshine and The Good Heart.
Especially The Good Heart.

This movie made me feel like a fluttering butterfly all the way through... and then it broke my heart.

I'm not sure if there is a part of the real Paul Dano in the roles he chooses to play, though it feels like it. Roles which often portray a young man, an outsider, an outcast, disturbed yet sincere, honest and still... unpredictable.

I've mentioned the word unpredictable a couple of times... because it's a simple thing. Well it isn't a thing but it is a mystery. When I see his face I feel like looking out into space where there is only nothingness. I don't know why. 

And yes, he can act. Just as good as the others on this page and he deserves really good recognition for it.





Heath Ledger
(1979 - 2008)

I saw a documentary about Heath Ledger a couple of days ago which really moved me. In the film his father showed a lot of things about Heath, which many do not know of.
  • Heath was not only an actor, he was also photographer,  artist, film director and film producer.
  • When he was younger, his dad told him how worried he was about Heath's hectic schedule. But Heath told his dad that he should get used to it because this is how his life is going to be from then on.
  • He was one of the people who had an ambition and went out to make it a reality. He moved from his home-country, Australia, to America where he could persue and nurture his passion for acting.
  • Heath's dad explained that Heath kept telling his loved ones that he won't live to be very old. It's weird to think about this, because it seemed as though Heath just knew.
  • He passed away from an accidental toxic combination of prescription drugs.
  • He was very particular about the roles that he chose since he knew exactly what he wanted and what he didn't. He wanted to be in serious films rather than in kitsch, teenage movies.
  • And he took up the role in Brokeback Mountain, a role that many young actors at that time rejected because it was a clear career red flag. But it was a movie to be taken seriously and he was glad he did it. Well, me too :)
  • His best role in my opinion? The Joker - mean, sick, vicious.



 Zooey Deschanel

I'm fascinated by multi-talented people and the last (but not least) one on my list is Zooey Deschanel. An actress, musician, and singer-songwriter.
  • Zooey is allergic to eggs, wheat gluten, and dairy products.
  • She can tapdance. Learned it for 6 years.
  • She doesn't drink.
  • She plays the piano, guitar, ukulele, and pedal steel guitar.
  • And she went to the same high school as Jack Black (omg, that just reminded me to Google Tenacious D and their awesome music!)
  • I think she can do comedy better than drama coz she's just funny in an awkward way
  • She sings and writes in a band called She & Him, with band member Matthew Ward.
  • Their music has that cheerful, 50s' or 60s' feel to it. When you listen, it feels like you just walked into a retro café.
  • She reminds me of my ragdoll, which I got for my 2nd birthday. And she (my ragdoll) was my imaginary friend. She always wore a dress and I love dresses.

All the actors above have one thing in common: professionalism with a box full of surprises.
I like.
I love.

2 comments:

  1. Great entry. Though I wonder now if you're more attracted to their acting talent or their positive aspects outside of acting.

    Sandra Bullock - When I think of her, I think of Speed where she has to help Keanu Reeves steer a bomb rigged bus to safety. She was quite funny in that. The thing is, Sandra hasn't really tried anything risky with her roles. The closest she came was in Murder By Numbers as a detective on the trail of two killers who thought they could outsmart CSI. I had wanted to see her Oscar winning role in The Blind Side, but haven't done so yet.
    N.B.: Look for Hope Floats if you haven't seen that yet. That one was an interesting drama.

    Viggo Mortensen - Yeah I like him too. I wonder if you've seen his collaborations with David Cronenberg: A History of Violence, Eastern Promises and A Dangerous Method. I've seen the first two, but heavily censored. Cronenberg's films are always controversial, so it's a problem on my side of the world. He was great in those.
    N.B.: you forgot to list Elvish in his languages.

    Paul Dano - When I think of Paul Dano, I think of There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis owned the film for sure, but it wouldn't have worked that well if not for Paul. Check it out if you haven't. I don't really know what Paul is up to lately though.

    Heath Ledger - He will always be remembered for The Joker, and he truly earned that Oscar. I still remember him in The Patriot as Mel Gibson's son, he was great in that role. The first time I saw him was in 10 Things I Hate About You, which ironically is a teenage film, and yes he was great in that one too. Also check out A Knight's Tale.

    Zooey Deschanel - She is quirky, very quirky. Sometimes it works for her, sometimes it doesn't. I last saw her in 500 Days of Summer, great film and one of a kind, though it was more of a Joseph Gordon-Levitt film than hers. She was in The Happening, where her weirdness just didn't work at all. That was a misstep for her. But I like her because she's cute in her own way, and definitely more interesting than her sister Emily.


    Again, great entry. (when the heck were you in Hollywood?) Sorry for my extensive comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely appreciate them also as individuals rather than just actors. They're some of the very few who doesn't just lose themselves to fame and money. And I respect that.

    Further more, their talent is not only in acting, but rather also in other creative aspects whether it's art, music, film or literature.

    As mentioned, I was in the USA in 1997, when I was about 10.

    Glad you liked the entry (that was probably your longest comment on SC ever).

    ReplyDelete