01 July 2012

"I Love You Phillip Morris"

I don't think I really slept at all last night. I'm not sure if it was the movie, the heavy thunderstorm or the ghosts in me. I stayed up until past 2am in the morning watching the movie "I Love You Phillip Norris" (2009).

It's a movie based on a true story of Steven Jay Russell (Jim Carrey). A married man who has a wife who he has unenthusiastic sex with - and a daughter, the whole package.

After a car crash he left his family to live his real life as a homosexual. He finds himself a boyfriend, Jimmy, but in order to finance their luxurious lifestyle he decided to be a con-artist and eventually landed in prison.

Steven then fell in love with his fellow inmate Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor), who has no idea who Steven really is, but upon release Steven realizes that he cannot be separated from Phillip. Steven then did everything he could and everything he knew just to be with Phillip again.

This movie gave me goosebumps... but in a way that it brought out my laughter, interest, anger and tears, all at the same time. It's a strange movie that just takes me into a whole new world.
How come I never heard of it?

Well, first thing's first... it's a controversial movie. And secondly, if you want to hear about or watch girl-on-girl action, you get it just like that. Oh yeah, no questioning that one. (And when it comes to that no one ever says that it's 'controversial').
It makes me sick.

But when it comes to gays nobody ever talks about it (except maybe Anne Rice, who stands up for the fact that they're human beings too), no ads would ever feature them, no movies about them would ever be promoted as a normal movie would. Everyone's afraid of them and think they have some kind of defect.
I mean, I was a huge fan of Westlife many years ago and I never knew that Mark Feehily was gay until after I've had enough and sold every single CD I used to have of them.
But how soon do you get to hear it when some female celebrity is lesbian? Almost always immediately.

This is the reason why that funny feeling in my stomache just made me wonder - it's still a very male-dominated dimension we're all living in. Far from being fair. To have seen this movie on TV was like discovering a needle in a stable full of horseshit and hay. I have to admit that I was somehow relieved.

I watched with passion, trying to understand everything that was going on.
Even though I knew that Jim Carrey had the lead role and no matter how hard my mind tried to convince me that he couldn't have played the role for real... it remains fact. He did a great job.
Parts of the movie were hilarious and parts of it broke my heart. At times I thought, "That was clever" and at times I thought, "He should've known better".

The spine of the story is a really weird mess, but don't worry, you won't lose track, which is the good thing about it. It ends with an uplifting note that leaves you baffled. Seriously. I was like, "Wha-..." but a good feeling followed.
Terrific.

When I turned off the TV set, I noticed the thunderstorm raging outside. The heavy rain was battering on the roof, slamming against the windows and the winds made deep and creepy "woo"ing sounds.
Back in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment