07 July 2012

I grew up in the '90s

Born in the late '80s, I had little time to enjoy that era. But that wasn't so bad because I grew up in the '90s and there were things back then that I enjoyed in my little own way.
 

 Purple Rollerblades

 I remember getting a pair of purple rollerblades from my late dad for my birthday.
It was one of the best presents I had since I used to get alot of Barbie dolls, which I didn't like at all.
I used to skate every weekend or sometimes even after school.
I always thought that there was probably something wrong with me since every girl I knew loved Barbie and I never did. I preferred to play cooking, video games, role-playing and outdoor stuff like cycling and swimming.




 Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (1993 - 1995)


My favourite ranger was Red Ranger, Jason Lee Scott, portrayed by Austin St. John.
And this is how they look now:








The 'High-tech Gadgets' of the '90s

 Yeah, I had one of those Casio data bank things and saved a lot of contacts on it.

  
When I got a little older, my mum bought me a pager. I don't know which one I used to have but I remember that it had some purple on it too.





The Sega Genesis
The console was released in the late 80's but it stayed around long enough for me to get my hands on it. It was somehow a weird phase in my life.
 

 Street Fighter II... I played it until my thumbs threatened to fall off.




Tamagotchi (1996)

This was such a strange hype back then and I was eager to own one. They weren't exactly cheap either so my parents tried so hard to keep me away from this.
I remember being at the toystore with my parents since I was allowed to buy a new toy. It was tradition -  after the exams every year they reward me with something for the hard work in school I put in.
I wanted to buy a Tamagotchi but my parents said no.
I stood there at the shelf staring at the one I wanted and I cried softly.
Not because I was trying to cause a scene (hardly anyone even noticed) or trying to maipulate my parents into buying it for me, but because I was really, really sad as I accepted the fact that I couldn't have it. Haha.
And then my dad said..... okay, you can have it.
Imagine my euphoria. Haha.
My mum was like... (-_-")




 Jengga
 

 This game has its origins way back in the '70s, and it was the most boring games I ever played.. lasting about 5-15 minutes... 





 Here are also some of my favourite '90s movies that I kept on watching over and over again.


 Girl, Interrupted (1999)
 This took me into the world of disturbed minds.


 Terminator 2 (1991)
I absolutely loved this film. Even today. The idea of machines walking among us... this is going to be a reality in the far future, where Androids and Artificial Intelligence rule. I am very, very sure.
And I don't know why, but the theme song somehow describes to me in exact detail, that transition from life to death. That fine line... I feel it. I see it.

The original by Brad Fiedel:


And someone made a Metal version of it, which is good:










 Child's Play (1988 - 2013)
Yes.. there will be a new one coming out in 2013, "Curse of Chucky".
It's one of those films I watched without anyone knowing. Haha.
Bad, bad boy, Chucky.



 Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
The film is so seductive, dark, sensual, and heartbreaking.
After watching the movie I decided to read every one of the books in the series and fell insanely in love with something I can't really put my finger on. Perhaps we call it... darkness.




 Mortal Kombat (1995)
I had this film on LD (Laser Disk: those huge, heavy round things) and my dad had already installed surround sound in our living room.
When the movie starts I blasted up the sound and feel like I'm being sucked into some kind of a heavy-metal portal. Adrenaline!



The Craft (1996)
And then came The Craft... witchcraft, magic and everything in between.


3 comments:

  1. Reading this made me discover two things. One, you're a tomboy at heart. Two, we have more in common than I realized.

    Yes, I watched the Power Rangers. Cheesy, bad acting and the ending's always the same, but fun nonetheless.

    Street Fighter II was my all time favorite game growing up. I played that game to death at the arcades. Back then, there was an age limit to enter, so I had to drag my mum along whenever I wanted to play. I could never beat M Bison, but I could beat up everyone else.


    Movies

    Girl. Interrupted was good. Thing is, everyone praised Angelina Jolie, but I preferred Winona Ryder. Ryder's speech to Jolie on why she wants to leave the place was awesome, because it's so true.

    Terminator 2 is also one of my all time favorites. Other than Edward Furlong's acting, everything was perfect. The T-1000 remains as one of the deadliest movie villains of all time.

    Loved Mortal Kombat. Like the Power Rangers, it's cheesy and the acting and dialogue are awful, but I just love it for some reason. And Christopher Lambert is in it.

    I picked up the Interview With The Vampire DVD a while back, but haven't made the time to see it yet. When I have, I'll write about it.

    Thanks for sharing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many chicken did you kill playing tamagochi

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aaron: That's great :) Thanks for sharing too. Oh and I'm far from tomboyish, I'm more ladylike instead of all pink and girly. When I was little I could hardly wait to grow up.

    @Yelly: I must have killed a few because I neglected them by letting them live in their own shit and bacteria.

    ReplyDelete