10 July 2012

Couples who died close together

Michael and I were talking about the recent deaths and near-death accidents that happened recently in Germany. A boy died recently after being buried in a sand hole which he had dug up himself. He died on an island in the North Sea, on Amrum, at a pirate-ship-shaped playground by the beach - the same spot where Michael had often played at during his early years.

We talked about death... talked about how thankful we are to have found each other. I was thankful that nothing bad happened to him and I am thankful my dad saved me from drowning when I was a child. My dad's gone... Leukemia took him. It wasn't anyone's fault. My mum moved on. Remarried 3 years later. It's been 13 years since his passing but he lives on... in me.

Michael then said to me... "I hope death takes us both at the same time. Quick and painless."
I told him that in his arms is only way that I want to die...

It motivated me to look up some real stories of couples who died very close together, either holding hands or within hours of each other. A phenomenon only love can explain.




Bob and Kay Sarver were married for more than 74 years. They died within 15 hours of each other and were laid to rest as one.

"They were together every day of their lives except when he was in the Navy," said daughter-in-law Sandy Sarver, of Kirkland, where Bob and Kay Sarver moved at the end of World War II.

At the time of their deaths, he was 92, and she was 93. They married in 1937.

"I never thought of them as individuals. I always thought of them as one," Sandy Sarver said. "They were joined at the hip."









Norma and Gordon Yeager had been married for 72 years.

The day of their high school graduation on May 22, 1939, the lovebirds tied the knot and promised 'til death do they part.
And they meant it.

Norma, 90, and Gordon, 94, got into a car accident and died within one hour of each other, in side-by-side hospital beds, holding hands.






Cleda Leavitt Blair was 95 when she passed away at 12:30 a.m. on a Wednesday.

She was holding hands with her husband of 76 years, Rosemond 'Frell' Blair, who couldn't stop weeping for the loss of his loved one.

Later that day, at 4:30 p.m., Frell died, too.








For decades, they lived side by side, devoted to each other.

Ethel, who was suffering from dementia, moved to a nursing home - but her husband was never far away.

He would come several times a week to visit and just hold her hand, kiss all over her, tell her how much he loved her and missed her.

Two years later, Presley joined his wife at the home.

Presley died in his Louisville, Kentucky nursing home on a Monday - just four hours before his wife of 73 years passed away in their shared room.




Harold and Mary Luty had spent 66 years of marriage.

Harold Luty, 86, would visit his beloved Mary, 87, every day at her nursing home where they would sit together holding hands and talking.

But he had not told her that he had cancer - and when he was told of her death, he lost his secret battle the following day.

Their daughter, Elaine, said, "They hadn't seen each other for two days. I said to dad that mum was hanging on and he said 'maybe we will go together'."

"He said 'tell her to let go' and 'perhaps she is waiting for me'. It brings comfort to us knowing that they are together now like they always had been."



84-year-old Robert Moser, whose health had declined steadily in recent years, always expected to go first.

His 80-year-old wife, Darlene, had been his steady caretaker at the Seatter Road home they built with their own hands.

That is, when a cancer gave her precious few weeks of life to live.

When Robert learned Darlene was terminally ill, he quickly grumbled: "I'm terminal, too."

The claim drew scoffs from his family. But he was serious.

On Jan. 23, Darlene lay beside him in her last moments. Six hours later Robert passed away.




I think I'm going to go have my crying moment now.
I hope Micha comes home to me safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment