09 April 2011

Reading Lindqvist

This is the german publication of John Ajvide Lindqvist's debut novel: Let the right one in. Before I watch the movie, I'd really love to read the book that inspired it.

I went to the bookstore to buy a copy but they didn't have it so I had to order it. Impatiently I waited, for 3 days. I was looking forward to it so much that it was literally burning infatuation. Then, finally, I got my hands on it. I was a so relieved.

From that day on I've been reading, and reading. And after just the first chapter I was so taken away. This was nothing like I've read before. It being written in german wasn't a problem at all to me. Every other sentence brought vivid pictures to my head.

In brief, this book tells the story of a young boy named Oskar, bullied by 'friends' and fascinated by the series of murders happening, who befriended a little girl... Eli... who's actually a 200-year-old vampire.

It's not a a shallow, kitsch, vampire-human love story, instead it's very deep, disturbing, full of love, rage, and darkness.

In the past 3 weeks I've been keeping this book nearby. I'm hooked and can't get enough!

Whether or not you're into horror and thrill: you will be once you read this book.

The only thing that I don't like about it is that sooner or later the story ends.
I'll hate that part. :)

4 comments:

  1. Are you planning on watching the Swedish film adaptation of this novel, or the American one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two versions? I didn't know that. I don't know. Whatever I can get my hands on here in Germany I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I recommend the American one. I do hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall blog about it once I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete