16 November 2008

Ego: The current state of humanity


Title: A New Earth
Author: Eckhart Tolle

A couple of days ago my mum bought me this book. She said, "I hope this will help you find your peace."

It was unnecessary but I did appreciate this gesture from her. I knew that she wanted me to worry less, think aimlessly less, and listen to my heart more.

I was skeptical about this book in the beginning, since I have read many of its kind only to find that they all sound the same, say the same things and give the same advice. But I went on reading a few more pages and I was already comforted almost without me realizing. Speaking of the Ego (and the many faces of it), and some of the most overused words: "I, me, my", Tolle made it clear why some of us have a hard time letting things go.

Written in a very subtle and gentle way, every word is so simple yet strong and reasonable. Every sentence is a calm sentence to read.

Ego: the current state of humanity. The impostor in everybody.
Indeed. How many stupid times a day do we say the word "I"? And how often do we identify ourselves with the things we are attached to be it an object, a situation or the things we do? Are you really less of who you are if you have to let go of something that's been holding you down?
The ego is often that voice in your head that tells you: Yes.

The true self, however, knows its worth because of this thing called the act of Being. Being cannot be thought, it can only be felt. One is not worth who one is by identifying oneself with something else. You can never be less of who you are when the time comes that you just have to let go. What makes a person is not his money, his clothes, his car, his job, his religion, his family, or his successes or failures.

In Desiderata (my favourite poem and my guide sometimes):

Be yourself.
Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit
to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness

Things cannot be fixed if they are not broken. Sometimes it has to be taken apart completely before you can even know where to start fixing it.
In other words, you have to lose yourself to find yourself.

This is a good read regardless of what condition you are in. It is a good read for the happy soul, and a good read for the troubled. The entire book is almost like Desiderata explained. Spiritual and calm. Just appreciating the art of Being, and soothing the mind from paralyzing thoughts. No religion to blindly have faith in, nor theories to blindly trust.

My journey to self discovery is only beginning to begin, but because it is a blessing by itself I also feel that it might be a journey that has no end.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham,
drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

2 comments:

  1. i would like to buy that book. i hope we have it here in the philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably do. And if not then you could definitely get it online.
    I recommend it with all my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete